Thursday, November 08, 2012

Obama Myanmar Visit Set For Later This Month, Official Says


I spoke with a Burmese friend and told her about the President's plan to visit her country. I didn't get the response I expected. My friend simply said:



"Bad."



I asked her "why?" I thought it would be a boon for her country if the President visited. She told me that when Secretary of State Clinton visited Myanmar the standard of living for the wealthy began to rise, but conditions got worse for the poor people. She felt a visit by the President would continue that trend. My friend has family in Myanmar, so I take her observations seriously.



I think the US Delegation should be sensitive of this dynamic, and perhaps mention the conditions of the poor of Myanmar is passing ... not as an insult ... but as a signal that the plight of the poor is on the President's radar.



Just my two-cents.
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

No comments:

Post a Comment