Wednesday, February 29, 2012

San Francisco Teacher Layoffs Approved By School Board (VIDEO)


The is a never ending travesty in San Francisco schools. Back in 1978 I was attending High School and my favorite teacher received a layoff notice, as he had year after year in the district. The day he received this notice he told the class his heart really wasn't into teaching for the rest of the semester, and that everyone in class would get a passing grade but that he just didn't have it in him to put a lot of effort into teaching anymore. I piped up and said, "We're here to learn." The rest of the class looked me like I was nuts. The teacher glared at me and said "You want to learn, huh?" I nodded. He said, "Okay", and proceeded to assign the entire class a project in the subject that included a written report and a classroom presentation. Needless to say by classmates loved me for that.



Thanks to that teacher I can now identify the seaweed that washes up on shore, and I understand the significance of the amphioxous, and have a more holistic appreciation of John Steinbeck.



It is wrong to treat teachers like this. The layoff/rehire routine demoralizes them and makes them cynical, robbing them of the joy of teaching to the detriment of the students.



I hate stories like this.
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

No comments:

Post a Comment